Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Elvis' favorite retro treats


It's pretty safe to say that if something has Elvis' face on it, I will probably buy it, and that includes this book that was published about Elvis' favorite foods with recipes and little stories about why he liked them. I've always been kind of obsessed with southern food (if I could eat biscuits and gravy every day I would, but I live in LA, and though I can find them here, it's just not the same, plus I'd gain a lot of weight if I ate them every day), and the fact that there is a recipe in here for Elvis' beloved fried PB & Banana sandwiches makes me so happy. I decided to make them and to accompany them with a batch of another one of his favorites: frosted chocolate brownies, and now all of the leftovers are sitting on my kitchen table taunting me. I guess that's not such a bad problem, really. But seriously, send help. Or just come over and take them from me.



I don't have any special tips for either of these recipes, mainly just that I decided to brulée the bananas for the PB & Banana sandwiches rather than just mash them up and pile them onto the bread. I also don't own a torch so i mashed them in a bowl, sprinkled them with sugar, and threw them into a broiler at 400 degrees for a while until they began to brown on top. As for the brownies, make sure your brownies are completely cooled before you frost them. I made the mistake of frosting them while still warm because I was worried about losing the light during the daytime, and now they look like an ooey gooey mess, which is fine if you like it that way, but it makes it mighty hard to cut them and make them look pretty.


Yum! I bought fresh brioche bread which made them a little elevated.


Hope you all enjoyed my little baking session! I want to try my hand at more of these recipes soon. Allll of the pies sound crazy good, and I wouldn't mind having some of that southern mac & cheese from the book, either.

Some recipes similar to the ones I used:



2 comments:

  1. Before this post, I noticed on your Instagram that you're an Elvis fan, so I thought I'd mention that I live in his hometown, where his birthplace is and the hardware store where he bought his first guitar. It's all kind of the town's little claim to fame so they have a museum at the birthplace and a huge "Elvis fest" every year. Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Oh that's so cool that you live in Tupelo! I visited there last summer when I was seeing Memphis for the first time. It's such a cute town! I went into the Hardware Store as well as the shop across the street that has the giant mural that his mother Gladys is pictured in. I hope to go back someday! :)

      Delete